By Nicholas D Spencer
Man lubricates normally with oil. Nature lubricates solely with water. natural water is a bad lubricant, however the addition of proteins, in particular glycoproteins, can alter surfaces to cause them to way more lubricating at sluggish speeds. figuring out how nature does this, and the actual buildings concerned, isn't just very important for the knowledge of ailments corresponding to osteoarthritis, but in addition crucial for the profitable program of articulating implants, akin to hips and knees, in addition to the improvement of scientific units corresponding to catheters and make contact with lenses. a number of significant purposes of water-based lubrication are already in position within the own care and foodstuff industries, and extra commercial functions of water-based lubrication may have an important optimistic effect at the environment.
This e-book is the 1st of its sort. It brings jointly the most recent learn in organic and biomimetic, water-based lubrication and is authored by way of the world's specialists within the field.
- Tribology of average Articular Joints (Rowena Crockett)
- Sticky and Slippery: Interfacial Forces of Mucin and Mucus Gels (Seunghwan Lee)
- Aqueous Lubrication and foodstuff Emulsions (Jason R Stokes)
- Aqueous Lubrication in Cosmetics (Gustavo S Luengo, Anthony Galliano and Claude Dubief)
- Hydrogel Friction and Lubrication (Jian Liu and Jian Ping Gong)
- Aqueous Lubrication with Polymer Brushes (Suzanne Giasson and Nicholas D Spencer)
- Water-Like Lubrication of challenging Contacts via Polyhydric Alcohols (Jean Michel Martin and Maria Isabel De Barros-Bouchet)
- Aqueous Lubrication of Ceramics (Mitjan Kalin)
Readership: educational and commercial tribologists, fabrics scientists, biomechanics execs, and physicists and chemists with an curiosity in tribology.
Read or Download Aqueous Lubrication:Natural and Biomimetic Approaches: 3 (IISc Research Monographs Series) PDF
Similar textiles & polymers books
It's been predicted that inside of simply ten years, over half all polyolefins could be made by utilizing metallocene catalysts. This ground-breaking quantity from PDL brings togetherùfor the 1st timeùwork from dozens of world-renowned specialists at the topic. Fifty chapters of peer-reviewed content material supply insights into purposes in car parts, meals packaging, insulating motion pictures, non-woven materials and clinical markets, between others.
Chilly climate could be a capability risk to human wellbeing and fitness, adversely affecting physiological services, paintings functionality and wellness. Designing appropriate clothing for chilly environments is for that reason a posh job. Textiles for chilly climate clothing stories the rules, fabrics and standards of chilly climate clothing and should stimulate principles for destiny innovation and enhanced finish functionality.
Databook of Blowing and Auxiliary brokers examines the chemical substances utilized in the manufacture of blowing and auxiliary brokers, and advertisement items, with more than a few information assets applied. Foamed polymers have many advantageous houses, together with reduce density, excessive warmth and sound insulation, and surprise absorbency.
Composite fabrics: Concurrent Engineering method covers diversified elements of concurrent engineering methods within the improvement of composite items. it really is an both important reference for academics, scholars, and sectors, together with details and information on concurrent engineering for composites which are collected jointly in a single complete source.
- Handbook of Thermoplastic Elastomers (Plastics Design Library)
- Polymers: Chemistry and Physics of Modern Materials, Third Edition
- Photon-Working Switches
- Nanostructured Polymer Blends and Composites in Textiles
- Plastics Fabrication and Recycling (Plastics Engineering)
- Characterisation of Polymers by Thermal Analysis
Extra resources for Aqueous Lubrication:Natural and Biomimetic Approaches: 3 (IISc Research Monographs Series)
Aqueous Lubrication:Natural and Biomimetic Approaches: 3 (IISc Research Monographs Series) by Nicholas D Spencer