By Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle
A spouse to game and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity provides a chain of essays that observe a socio-historical standpoint to myriad points of historical activity and spectacle.
- Covers the Bronze Age to the Byzantine Empire
- Includes contributions from more than a few foreign students with quite a few Classical antiquity specialties
- Goes past the standard concentrations on Olympia and Rome to envision activity in towns and territories through the Mediterranean basin
- Features various illustrations, maps, end-of-chapter references, inner cross-referencing, and a close index to extend accessibility and help researchers
Read or Download A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best history of sports books
For greater than a century the yank farm, manufacturing facility and frontier supplied possibilities for actual staff to show their ability, win a big gamble, brag or even simply have a few enjoyable. Competitions that emphasised beneficial abilities, like plowing, corn-husking, rock drilling, typesetting, and tree slicing, have been universal within the antebellum and post–Civil conflict classes, frequently drawing huge crowds and the eye of carrying journals.
Horse racing in the USA dates again to the colonial period whilst road races have been a typical incidence. The commercialization of horse racing produced a activity that may in short surpass all others in recognition, with annual races akin to the Kentucky Derby, Preakness, and Belmont Stakes transforming into to rank between America’s so much celebrated physical activities.
Utilizing formerly inaccessible archival files, this learn presents a longitudinal research of the center degrees of Soviet forms answerable for overseeing Olympic game through the chilly conflict. Spanning the interval from the USSR’s Olympic debut in 1952 throughout the 1980 video games held in Moscow, this booklet argues that in the back of the high-profile performances of Soviet elite athletes, a legion of activities directors labored inside foreign activities enterprises and the Soviet party-state to extend Soviet probabilities of luck and make Soviet representatives a revered voice in overseas activities.
Orwell was once improper. activities usually are not "war with no the shooting", nor are they "war by way of different skill. " to make certain activities have generated animosity all through human background, yet additionally they require ideas to which the contributors comply with abide earlier than the competition. between different issues, these ideas are meant to restrict violence, even demise.
- Jump Shot: Kenny Sailors: Basketball Innovator and Alaskan Outfitter
- Aiken's Sporting Life (Images of America)
- Sidelined: How American Sports Challenged the Black Freedom Struggle (Civil Rights and the Struggle for Black Equality in the Twentieth Century)
- The Day Commodus Killed a Rhino (Witness to Ancient History)
- Of Gods and Games (George H. Shriver Lecture Series in Religion in American History Ser.)
Additional resources for A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Sport and Spectacle in Greek and Roman Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Paul Christesen,Donald G. Kyle